Thursday, March 5, 2015

Rissa

Rissa, my daughter recently asked me to make her a tulle skirt. She even had a particular color and style in mind, all thanks to her pinterest board. The only unfortunate thing, tulle is one of those materials I don't stash! I told her we could pay a visit to the local fabric store, or even better, take a trip to the garments district and visit Mood.. I love Mood.. Anyway, it didn't matter cause she eventually settled for some fabric I received in the mail. My very first online purchase of fabric. Although I've sewn for some time, I don't normally buy fabric online because I like to touch it. Ideas come to me that way.. Weird I know. Nonetheless, I went out on a limb (really?) and bought some. It was a lightweight cotton and I reasoned, you can't go wrong with cotton. Besides, What's the worst that can happen.. I can always make a bed sheet?... Anyway, the fabric was pink and white chevron. Nice fabric, but it gave me the impression that someone younger should be wearing it. We then decided to take a trip to our local Michael's and picked up some fabric dye.. dark dye... Charcoal to be exact. The end result was a pretty, more age appropriate pink and gray. Sewing the skirt was simple and rather easy.  I used McCalls 6706, view D. I decided to substitute the hook and eye for a button closure by adding an inch to the length of the waistband. This pattern also calls for a side zipper and narrow hem.. Kept the zipper, but the narrow hem went out the window. I opted for a turn over hem instead. Im overall happy with how it turned out, but more importantly, so is Rissa.



4 comments:

  1. That is a very clever idea to dye it so that it is not so pastel and juvenile! I will totally stash that idea away. What a lovely skirt it ended up being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helena. We were happy with the results!

      Delete
  2. Love this skirt! I've been looking for a similar pattern to make a lace skirt! Off to check out the McCall's 6706!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it. This pattern is a good one to have handy as it sews up quickly! Can't wait to see your skirt!😉

    ReplyDelete