Sunday, March 8, 2015

While it snows...

This winter wasn't so bad if you exclude the entire month of February! I kept telling my husband, "thank God it hasn't snowed so much.. a few flurries here and there", "winter isn't over", he'd replied.. and then bamm.... FEBRUARY 2015 rolls in with more snow than the previous 4 months. I think I'm going to need therapy for my back from all the shoveling. Anywho.. during one of these february storms, my boo and I went for a walk (because snow is pretty when its falling) and ended up near a fabric store. I decided to go in and warm up.. (right) and as I was warming up, I came across this beautiful cobalt blue fabric. It screamed at me and said.. "you don't have anything like me in your stash", SO I adopted it. At first glance, I wasn't sure what Id make, but as walked back home and he talked about this and that, I drifted into the possibilities of what it would become. When we arrived, and before enough snow fell to start shoveling, I looked at some patterns I had on hand and decided to make a simple maxi since the fabric has texture to it and I was in need of instant gratification. My only debate was, do I want it with or with out sleeves? Hmmm..
 
The pattern I used was New Look 6223 view D, but it turned out to be C since I eventually omitted the sleeves.  I also added length to the dress (no surprise there) by 16". I used the cotton from my previous post Here to line the dress and add pockets. Yes this dress has pockets, because who doesn't like hidden pockets? And this chevron fabric makes it "fun".


I also made some bias tape to apply to the sleeves, although, as I write this, Im not sure Ill keep it that way! The bodice front and back has darts and pleats, and uses a 22"
zipper closure.





                             This picture tells me Im in need of making a statement belt for this dress...



Overall, great dress to welcome in the Spring. Cant wait to wear it! 

In the meantime, let me go shovel....

4 comments:

  1. It does look very spring-y! I love the bias tape, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I was debating on the bias tape. Might just keep it.. Thanks helena.

      Delete
  2. So lovely! Great idea on the length!

    ReplyDelete